Earn money Online by just viewing ads

Earn money Online by just viewing ads
Earn money online by just clicking your mouse!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final Review


Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island Final is the third (and hopefully not the last) of three Hunter x Hunter OVAs. It continues off where the Greed Island OVA left off, with Gon and Killua in the Greed Island game.

I might as well get it out of the way and say that the art and sound are exactly like what you'd expect from the previous OVAs and the 62 episode Hunter x Hunter episodes. Serviceable, great action scenes, and everything the watcher is already used to. Killua does get cuter in this OVA but maybe that's just me getting attached to his character.

The ending theme of this OVA is really good, which bumps the sound score up a notch. It is titled "Moshimo Kono Sekai de Kimi to Boku ga Deaenakatta Nara (If You and I Never Met in This World)". I am still not 100% sure who the song is referring to. Is it Gon thinking about his father? Killua thinking about Gon? Or some other characters (Leorio?).

The character development in this OVA is, dare I say it, even better than I expected (and I had high expectations!). For a while, our 2 heros train under Biske (Biscuit?), who may look young but is an even better trainer than their previous nen teacher, Wing. That is to be expected because, well, she outranks him (watch and find out).

The training episodes are a lot of fun, and will serve their purpose later on. Killua leaves the game midway to take care of some "unfinished business". What transpires(with him) during his short absence (*GAH! I must not spoil the OVA*) made him my absolute favorite character in Hunter x Hunter. You'll understand after watching the second episode of the OVA.

I was worried that Gon and Killua were spending too much time on training and may have forgotten their goal of finishing the game but my fears were soon allayed. When they start collecting the cards, they really went all out. To be honest, a small part of me was very proud of them for doing all the card collection the "HARD" way (i.e. with no spoilers or information from other players).

There are 3 key .. mini arcs that make this OVA great. They're not just great from a storyline perspective, but showcase subtle character development. It's so seamlessly done that the viewer won't feel that character development is being shoved down his/her throat.

The first is the attempt(s) to get Tsubo of the Coast. All I can say is besides being totally hilarious, Razor rocks!

The second is a FANTASTIC fight between Gon, Killua and Biske against the Bomber and his 2 buddies. I can't pick a favorite, all 3 were awesome!

The third and last is the final card. It just goes to show that after all the action, it's the brains of a character that count the most.

The ending made this OVA perfect. I have never read the manga but I did catch a glimpse of the hair color of the man in the last frame. Very ... interesting. This is a definate must watch if you've seen any Hunter x Hunter.

Although Greed Island Final ties up the loose ends of OVA 3, there is still a lot that can be done. So far there have been 62 episodes of TV series, 8 episodes OVA1, 8 episodes OVA2 and 14 episodes of OVA3. That's 92 episodes. Is it enough? NOOO! We must have more!

I for one will be waiting for the day when the manga writer comes back and finishes this series, so they can make more Hunter x Hunter anime for fans like us. Even though I'm impatient for new stories to emerge, I will give 100% credit to the mangaka for writing this amazing series filled with action, comedy and friendship. Please finish the rest of the manga!

No comments:

Post a Comment