Earn money Online by just viewing ads

Earn money Online by just viewing ads
Earn money online by just clicking your mouse!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ouran Koukou Host Club Review


Character(s) & Their Development
Every character is based with a sterotype near the beginning of the series. The real question though is if the characters actually grow out of their set roles. After watching the whole series that's both a yes and a no. It all comes down to the fact that the manga is still going and the characters are still maturing in that format; thus, they can only grow so far in the anime without making it a new story entirely. Sure, they stay towards their first impressions but, there are a handful of episodes that explain each Host Club member and their reasoning behind attitude, outlook, and for joining the club in the first place.

A keen example is Tamaki and his feelings for Haruhi. In the beginning, he takes on a father role towards her and the audience is made to believe that this is only part of his nature; however, the viewers should realize that this is because of the feelings he holds for her. Even Tamaki doesn't understand it and in episode twenty-three is forced to question it. He probably can't comprehend his feelings in the end, but he seems to establish some understanding towards Haruhi. Really, characters do grow but they tend to have done a lot of growing before the show was established, and quite a few past experiences are explained through-out the episodes. Either way, the audience is given the chance to fall in love with the characters before they begin to change, which adds a nice and smooth transition.

Animation
I've found people complain at the lack of the details made towards the characters themselves. Then again, how much detail do you want on a character that's about to turn chibi on your ass? Seriously, the animators did a wonderful job at finding a keen balance between common and glorious so that when a touching moment is needed, the characters have that necessary lovely animation & while during the hyper-active moments, the characters are bouncy and have a jelly-like movement.

One thing that caught my attention after reviewing certain episodes was how detailed the background could be. I hadn't noticed it on the first run through due to how into the show I was; however, if you pay attention, you really notice how wealthy the animators attempted to make the school look. Look at the ceilings and the inscriptions into it, that's pretty damn detailed to me.

Music
I was iffy about the music in the beginning. Once I heard the first line of the opening, Sakura Kiss, I felt the catchiness; however, after listening to the whole thing I wasn't direly impressed. The ending song, Shissou, I didn't like at all. It just sounded like normal Japanese rock. I was disappointed even more when I found LAST ALLIANCE was the band who preformed it because they could have done a lot better.

Regardless, I gave the music a chance and got a copy of the available soundtracks. While watching the show I found the melody coordinated with many places perfectly, surely in the Ouran world the music full of rich violins, playful piano, and elegant harp was a match made in heaven. In it’s own way everything works... but that ending song.

Dubbing/Subbing
Since there is no dubbing released, I can't comment on that; however, the subtitles by Lunar Anime provided on their fansub were wonderfully done. Generally, I don't like to comment on subtitles because what's there to say, but what I liked was how many notes were provided to get said joke. It was also produced very nicely for the English audience.

Overall
Simply, Ouran High School Host Club is just a fun old time. It's got the wackiness to pull you into a fit of giggles, but at the same time enough character development to move along with a pretty random plot. I was going to skip this series entirely because I tend to avoid popular shows now-a-days; however, in the end I'm glad I didn't. This was certainly worth my time and I guarantee it's worth yours, too. It's hard to find a character or a part that you plainly didn't like. So, unless you're extremely nit-picky, then there shouldn't be a problem to enjoy this anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment